This is a simply delicious and very healthy Vegetarian Lasagna recipe which can be so very easily adapted to be a simply delicious Vegan Lasagna!
I must confess – this recipe is adapted from a recipe I saw on the Rachael Ray show with Bob Greene (yes…Oprah's Bob Greene!). I tried the recipe and then adapted it to my family's tastes – it is a great Vegetarian Lasagna recipe without the fat and calories of a cheesy lasagna. I am certain you'll love it too! If you prefer a non-dairy vegan version, this recipe can easily be adapted to vegan.
I actually have made this with cannelloni noodles also (the big, round tubes) and it came out even better!
INGREDIENTS 1 onion 2 cloves garlic 1 onion 1/2 cup water 1 bunch basil – just the leaves – no stems 2 cups fresh spinach leaves 1 jar store-bought spaghetti sauce 2 tbsp. dried oregano 1 cup ground nuts – a combination of any nuts you like – walnuts, macadamia, pumpkin seeds, almonds, etc. 1 package lasagna noodles OR cannelloni noodles 1 cup grated cheese (optional) Salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION 1. In a food processor, whizz the nuts, basil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, spinach and water together.
2. Spread 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce over the bottom of your pan.
3. Lay the one layer of uncooked lasagna noodles over the sauce.
4. Spread half of the nut/spinach/basil etc. mixture over the noodles.
5. If you are using the cheese, sprinkle the grated cheese over top.
6. Place another layer of noodles.
7. Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the noodles.
8. Spread the second half of the nut/spinach/basil mixture over the sauce. This could get messy but it doesn't matter.
9. Place another layer of pasta.
10. Spread the last 1/3 of the sauce over the noodles and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
11. Bake at 180C (350F) for about 45 minutes. I like to cover the lasagna with tin foil for the first 25 minutes and then remove the foil. After about 35 minutes, check the lasagna to be sure it doesn't burn on top
13. If you rather to prepare this as cannelloni, instead of layering, you fill pasta tubes with the spinach/nut/basil mixture and layer them in the pan. Spread the sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
Welcome to Simply-Vegetarian.com where you'll find simple, nutritious and delicious meatless recipes.
I'm Mimi (that's me on the Nile River!) and this is my recipe collection. I love to be creative, love to cook and love to entertain. I'm also veggie which means that all of the above gets a bit more complicated – and a lot more fun!
On simply-vegetarian.com I share some of my family's favourite recipes, from soups and starters to holiday main dishes and desserts as well as some really good tips and suggestions for healthy eating!
– SBI! guides you along and keeps you on track. SBI makes it easy to get your message out there on the web! Do you have a passion? Start working with SBI - start living your passion! I did - and I couldn't be happier!