This is a great Vegan Shepherd's Pie which is meat and dairy free. Perfect for these cold days and so delicious and nutritious! You can use this same base for a vegetarian version (see comments in the recipe, below). Either way, this is de-lish and your family will enjoy this healthy, yummy Vegan Shepherd's Pie.
5-6 potatoes, cut into chunks.
½ cup nut milk of your choice. For Veggie version you can use regular milk or soy milk. Almond and coconut milk are also good for this. (unsweetened version)
2 tbsp coconut oil or margarine OR for Veggie version you can use butter.
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked brown lentils
1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp of water OR 1 tbsp chickpea flour with 3 tbsp water (veggie version can use 2 eggs)
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup broccoli, diced
2 tbsp basil, chopped (or use dried if you have)
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or use dried if you have)
1 tbsp prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
1. Boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain. Place them into the food processor with milk and coconut oil and blend. OR mash the potatoes with the milk and coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Sauté the onion and garlic in a little olive oil for 2 minutes.
3. place the sauteed onion, garlic, dices veggies (carrot, broccoli), lentils and all your herbs into the food processor and pulse a few times but keep in chunky.
3. Pour the vegetable/lentil mixture into a greased deep pie pan or casserole dish.
4. Spread your mashed potatoes over top. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Try some more of my great vegan and vegetarian recipes like this Vegan Shepherd's Pie - Meat & Dairy Free.
Welcome to Simply-Vegetarian.com where you'll find simple, nutritious and delicious meatless recipes.
I'm Mimi (that's me on the Nile River!) and this is my recipe collection. I love to be creative, love to cook and love to entertain. I'm also veggie which means that all of the above gets a bit more complicated – and a lot more fun!
On simply-vegetarian.com I share some of my family's favourite recipes, from soups and starters to holiday main dishes and desserts as well as some really good tips and suggestions for healthy eating!
I built this site using SBI!
– SBI! guides you along and keeps you on track. SBI makes it easy to get your message out there on the web! Do you have a passion?
Start working with SBI - start living your passion! I did - and I couldn't be happier!
Click here now to read about me and my passion...