Simple and delicious side dish recipe with summer squash, tomato and peppers.
I was looking for a way to use up the different types of summer squash I had in the fridge and came up with this idea… It went over really well when I served it and it was really very simple to prepare. You can use different types of squash if you like … these are what I had on hand.
INGREDIENTS 1 butternut squash 1 spaghetti squash 1 onion 2 red peppers 2 cloves garlic, chopped 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped OR 1 tin cubed tomatoes 1/2 cup olive oil 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp. lemon juice Salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION 1. Cut the butternut squash and spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
2. Place the 4 halves cut-side down on a baking tray and place in the oven at 180C (350F). Bake until the squash are soft when pierced with a fork. Cool.
3. Carefully remove the skin from the baked butternut squash and chop the flesh into cubes. Using a fork, scrape the stringy spaghetti-like flesh from the spaghetti squash.
4. Chop the onion.
5. Slice the peppers into strips.
6. Sauté the onion in the olive oil. When the onion is golden add the garlic.
7. Add the pepper strips to the pan. Sauté a few minutes longer.
8. Add the squash and the tomato cubes.
9. Sauté another 4-5 minutes.
10. Add the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Welcome to Simply-Vegetarian.com where you'll find simple, nutritious and delicious meatless recipes.
I'm Mimi (that's me on the Nile River!) and this is my recipe collection. I love to be creative, love to cook and love to entertain. I'm also veggie which means that all of the above gets a bit more complicated – and a lot more fun!
On simply-vegetarian.com I share some of my family's favourite recipes, from soups and starters to holiday main dishes and desserts as well as some really good tips and suggestions for healthy eating!
– SBI! guides you along and keeps you on track. SBI makes it easy to get your message out there on the web! Do you have a passion? Start working with SBI - start living your passion! I did - and I couldn't be happier!