Recipe for Stuffed Vegetables
Stuffed veggies make a striking festive meal and always seem to impress. Here is a basic stuffing recipe that can work for most vegetables and even fruits! Try the stuffed figs – my friend Simona gave me the recipe and it is a true delicacy and really simple to put together!
You can make an impressive presentation of an array of stuffed vegetables using the same filling for many different veggies. Just hollow out the centre of the vegetables you are using and fill with the basic stuffing and cook according to the directions. Beets make a great stuffed vegetable – maybe a bit off the wall but they are really good and good for you. Try it… you'll like it. ;-)
VEGGIES FOR STUFFING
2. Pit and chop the dates.
3. Mix together all the "Filling" ingredients.
2. If you are using figs, soak the figs in hot water for 15 minutes. This softens the figs so that they can be cut open and stuffed.
4. Cut the green and red pepper in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds.
5. Hollow out the centre of the onion.
6. Cut the zucchini in half (widthwise) and then cut each half again lengthwise and hollow out the centre so that you end up with 4 zucchini "boats".
7. Wash the beets well. Trim the ends. Hollow out the centre (like you did with the onions) forming a deep well for the stuffing.
8. Fill each vegetable with stuffing.
9. In a large (wide bottomed) pot, sauté the sliced onions in the oil until golden.
10. Mix the honey and lemon juice together and add the hot water.
11. Arrange the vegetables over the bottom of the pot (on top of the fried onions). Pour the lemon-honey-water mixture over. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the juices have thickened – watch the pot closely – you don't want to burn the bottoms of your veggies. But you do want your veggies to cook thru so test them (especially the beets). And you want the sauce to thicken.
13. Serve hot as an appetizer or as a main dish.
Oh yeah, what to do with all the vegetables that you hollowed out? (onion, beet, zucchini etc.) – it would be a true shame to waste them! Use them as a base to make a delicious vegetable soup!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
Follow us on Facebook!