Mushroom Tart Tartin
Here is a wonderful Puff Pastry recipe for an Onion and Mushroom Tart Tartin. What is a "Tart Tartin" you ask? Well, basically it is an upside-down quiche. I mean, that's over simplifying. But for a Tart Tartin, you prepare the filling, cover the top with puff pastry, bake and then flip over to serve. Sounds complicated? – not in the least!
Check out the Apple Tart Tartin as well – equally simple and absolutely YUMMY!
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onions.
3. Clean and cut the mushrooms fairly large – for example, if you are using button mushrooms, cut each one in half. If using any other type (example Portobello) cut into cubes about the size of half a button mushroom. You want the filling to be rather chunky.
4. After about ten minutes of sautéing the onions, add the mushrooms for another 5 minutes.
5. Now add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook another 5-8 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the liquid is evaporated.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the walnuts.
7. Now, take a round cake pan or deep pie dish. Spray cooking spray or grease with butter/margarine.
8. Spoon the onion-mushroom mixture into the pan and sprinkle the cheese over top.
9. Roll out the puff pastry and cut a round which is just slightly larger than the circumference of your cake pan.(it doesn't have to be exact)
10. Place the pastry over the filling. Tuck the edges inside the cake tin all around the filling – like you're tucking a blanket in.
11. Bake at 180C (350F) for about 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffy and yummy-looking.
12. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Turn the Tartin out onto a flat plate so that crust is on the bottom and the delicious filling is facing up.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
Follow us on Facebook!