Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup made from stock and miso paste. It is simple to make and simply delicious and very healthy as well!
You can use yellow or red miso paste for this soup. Yellow miso is sweet and creamy, red miso is stronger and saltier.
Hubby and I like going out for our weekly "date" and one of our favourite places is a local sushi restaurant. Well, not really a typical restaurant because they only have long family-style tables – more like Japanese fast-food - but the food is good and it gives us a chance to catch up on the day's happenings together. We always order the vegetarian sushi combination platter and miso soup (hubby always asks for extra "stuff" in the soup - wakame seaweed and tofu and veggies) and a cold Japanese beer each. We share the food and some quality time together. It's really nice.
This recipe is for 4 servings.
1. Bring water to the boil and add seaweed.
2. Allow to simmer at least 5 minutes. Simmering the seaweed will lessen the salty fishy flavour of the seaweed.
3. Reduce heat to very low and add the miso. Stir until miso is well dissolved but do not boil. Boiling will reduce the health properties of the miso and will change the flavour.
4. Add the tofu cubes, chopped green onion and soy sauce. And shredded carrot if you opted for it.
5. Just before serving, add the sesame oil. Serve the soup hot and with lots of "stuff" (seaweed, tofu, veggies etc.) to make a great light dinner.
Did you know...
Miso is a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermenting rice, barley and/or soybeans. Typically you will find soy miso at your Asian grocers. Miso is a thick paste used for sauces and spreads, pickling vegetables or miso soup (misoshiru). Miso is high in protein and rich in vitamins and minerals and the flavour is salty, earthy, fruity, and savory which makes this miso soup so interesting and flavourful and just plain YUMMY.
Welcome to Simply-Vegetarian.com where you'll find simple, nutritious and delicious meatless recipes.
I'm Mimi (that's me on the Nile River!) and this is my recipe collection. I love to be creative, love to cook and love to entertain. I'm also veggie which means that all of the above gets a bit more complicated – and a lot more fun!
On simply-vegetarian.com I share some of my family's favourite recipes, from soups and starters to holiday main dishes and desserts as well as some really good tips and suggestions for healthy eating!
I built this site using SBI!
– SBI! guides you along and keeps you on track. SBI makes it easy to get your message out there on the web! Do you have a passion?
Start working with SBI - start living your passion! I did - and I couldn't be happier!
Click here now to read about me and my passion...