Brussel Sprout Recipe
This is an easy brussel sprout recipe that can be a simple dinner casserole that can be pulled together in minutes.
10 oz. fresh brussel sprouts OR 1 package frozen brussel sprouts
1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs from 2 slices bread *
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk OR vegetable broth OR soy/rice milk
1 tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated cheese
*Fresh bread crumbs are made by taking fresh bread and running it through the food processer until you receive fine crumbs.
2. Slice each sprout in half.
3. Fry the chopped onion in olive oil until soft and translucent.
4. Arrange the halved brussel sprouts and fried onion over the bottom of a baking dish.
5. Now, prepare a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, stir in the flour until you get a pasty goo. Whisk in the milk/broth – don't stop stirring. The sauce will begin to thicken and bubble. If it is too think, add more liquid but keep whisking/stirring all the time.
6. Stir in the mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Allow to cool a bit.
7. Carefully whisk the eggs into the cooled sauce.
8. Pour the sauce over the brussel sprouts. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over top and the cheese over everything.
9. Bake at 180C (400 F) until the casserole is set and the top is golden.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
Follow us on Facebook!