Apple Tart Tartin
Tart Tartin is basically an upside-down pie. For Tart Tartin, you prepare the filling, cover the top with puff pastry, bake and then flip over to serve. Not at all complicated!
Check out the Onion Mushroom Tart Tartin as well – equally simple and absolutely delish savoury tart!
2. Drizzle the apple wedges with lemon juice.
3. Take a round cake pan or deep pie dish. Spray cooking spray or grease with butter/margarine.
4. Roll out the puff pastry and cut a round which is just slightly larger than the circumference of your cake pan. (it doesn't have to be exact) Set aside.
5. Place the sugar, vanilla and water in a wide pan over medium heat.
6. Let the sugar dissolve and cook until the mixture forms a light caramel. The caramel should be a golden chestnut-y brown.
7. Add the apple wedges and stir for about five minutes so that the apples start to soften.
8. Stir in the butter.
9. Remove from heat and very carefully pour into the prepared pan. The caramel is HOT - please be careful.
10. Place the pastry over the filling. Tuck the edges inside the tin all around the filling – like you're tucking in a blanket in.
11. Bake at 180C (350F) for about 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffy and the caramel is bubbly and gooey.
12. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Turn the Tartin out onto a flat plate so that crust is on the bottom and the delicious apple filling is facing up.
13. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a glob of whipped cream.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
Follow us on Facebook!